Thirty-three University of Nebraska–Lincoln students are studying abroad in Barcelona, Spain, May 10 through Aug. 4. Sponsored by the College of Business, the Husker-faculty-led program at the Institute for American Universities provides up to 12 weeks of courses. Students also have the opportunity to intern.
The program is open to undergraduate and graduate students of all academic majors with a minimum 2.5 GPA. Students chose among a six-week academic course track, nine-week academic course and internship track and 12-week academic course, internship and Spanish-language track.
During the program, students immerse themselves in Spanish culture. Activities include field study trips, study tours and day trips, along with cultural activities such as Catalan cooking courses and flamenco dance classes.
Ariel Zach, a senior international business major participating in the 12-week track, chose the program because she grew up appreciating the Spanish language and culture. She plans to engross herself in all Spain has to offer and visit Morocco while abroad before her senior year at Nebraska.
“Understanding the background of this city has been phenomenal,” the Madison, Nebraska, native wrote on her blog. “Growing up, I don’t remember learning about how Barcelona or Spain came to be. I could have learned in school and forgotten about it, but actually seeing memorials and areas is key to making things stick with me.”
The following students are participating in the Barcelona summer program. They are listed by hometown, with their year in school during the fall semester and academic major.
- Aurora: Megan DeVries, junior, business administration
- Blair: Michael Sandvold, senior, management; Alexis Wulf, senior, marketing
- Crete: Luke Hollman, senior, finance
- Elkhorn: Jack Butler, senior, finance
- Gretna: Amanda Purintun, junior, management
- Lincoln: Sara Al Balushi, senior, international business; Jessica Ha, junior, international business; Andres Herrera, senior, international business; Alexis Hruby, junior, business administration; Kennedy Johnson, senior, business administration; Tony Munson, junior, economics; Emily Pick, senior, finance; Alex Rybak, sophomore, actuarial science; Dani Stowers, junior, accounting
- Louisville: Ellie Geise, junior, marketing
- Madison: Ariel Zach, senior, international business
- Omaha: John Woltemath, senior, finance
- Papillion: Jacqueline Alexander, junior, business administration
- Gilbert, Arizona: Brenna McManus, senior, business administration
- Centennial, Colorado: Caroline Milner, junior, marketing
- Clearwater, Florida: Isabella Kloppel, junior, international business
- Belleville, Illinois: Emily Woodrome, senior, actuarial science
- Manhattan, Illinois: Zachary Paymaster, junior, accounting
- Panama, Iowa: Molly Wingert, junior, business administration
- Overland Park, Kansas: Allison Hunt, junior, marketing
- Lee’s Summit, Missouri: Kayla Brumley, senior, management
- Pleasant Hill, Missouri: Gavin Wheeler, junior, management
- West Chester, Pennsylvania: Joshua Watters, senior, international business
- Pierre, South Dakota: Meagan Potrzeba, junior, marketing
- Vienna, Virginia: Nassr Al Haddabi, senior, international business
- Johor Bahru, Malaysia: Min Ong, junior, international business
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam: Quan Nguyen, junior, international business