Aug. 25 at Nebraska Union Plaza

Most Recent Entries

Statement on university investigation into Aug. 25 incident

On Sept. 7, 2017, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln released the following statement regarding an Aug. 25 exchange near the Nebraska Union.

“The university has concluded its investigation related to the exchange between a student and a lecturer that took place Aug. 25 in front of the Nebraska Union. Our expectations for civility were not met by the lecturer in her behavior toward a student, and not representative of a university where the robust free exchange of ideas takes place 24 hours a day, seven days a week. While privacy laws prevent us from discussing specific personnel actions, we can say that because of safety concerns raised by this incident, we have removed the lecturer from the classroom and re-assigned her to non-teaching duties.”

Date Issued

Thursday, September 7, 2017 - 10:15

Statement on Aug. 25 incident and free speech

On Monday, Aug. 28, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln issued the following statement regarding an incident outside of the Nebraska Union on Aug. 25.

“The University of Nebraska-Lincoln is committed to free speech from all viewpoints and to maintaining an atmosphere conducive to learning. We expect our university community to be a place of civil discourse. Civility is essential for a learning environment, as is an atmosphere of respect and dignity – an atmosphere that, on Aug. 25, was eroded by behavior that was offensive to many during an incident outside our student union. We are continuing our review of this situation, including discussions with all involved.”

Date Issued

Monday, August 28, 2017 - 19:00

Aug. 25 incident at Nebraska Union Plaza

On Friday, Aug. 25, 2017, the university released the following statement regarding an incident involving an exchange on the Nebraska Union Plaza that resulted in the University Police Department being called.

“We are aware of the situation, and understand that people were expressing differing opinions at the Nebraska Union Plaza, a public place. Shortly after 3 p.m., one of the parties involved requested the assistance of University Police, who then came to the plaza to assist. No one was injured. We remain committed to freedom of speech and to the safety of everyone in our university community.”

Date Issued

Friday, August 25, 2017 - 05:00