“From Where I Stand,” an exhibition of artworks from the University of Nebraska–Lincoln’s Sheldon Museum of Art, will travel to eight Nebraska communities during the 2019-20 academic year.
The exhibition is part of Sheldon Statewide, an annual program through which works from the museum’s collection travel to venues throughout Nebraska. Since its inception in 1987, the program has taken exhibitions to 24 communities, reaching more than 350,000 people. “From Where I Stand” will be presented in Chadron, North Platte, McCook, Fremont, Lexington, York, Falls City and Beatrice.
Through a selection of paintings, photographs and prints, “From Where I Stand” explores connections between landscape, and personal, communal and national identity. The works provide artists’ observations and expressions of how people affect the land they occupy and, in turn, how those environments influence their inhabitants.
The exhibition features works by Arthur J. Beaumont, Albert Bierstadt, George Caleb Bingham, Paul Burlin, Harry Callahan, Amy Cutler, John Divola, Aaron Douglas, Margo Humphrey, Ana Mendieta, Wright Morris, Faith Ringgold, Arthur Rothstein and Paul Strand.
The Sheldon Statewide exhibition series receives funding support from Farmers Mutual Insurance Company of Nebraska, Rhonda Seacrest, the Nebraska Arts Council and Nebraska Cultural Endowment, and Sheldon Art Association.
The exhibition schedule:
- Chadron State College, Chadron, Aug. 30-Sept. 29, sponsored by the Chadron State College Galaxy Series
- Prairie Arts Center, North Platte, Oct. 2-29, sponsored by NebraskaLand National Bank; Mike Jacobson, president and CEO; and the Art Study League of North Platte
- Museum of the High Plains, McCook, Oct. 31-Dec. 2, sponsored by the McCook Arts Council
- Gallery 92 West, Fremont, Jan. 8-Feb. 3, sponsored by the Fremont Area Art Association
- Dawson County Historical Society Museum, Lexington, Feb. 5-March 2, sponsored by the Dawson County Historical Society
- Cornerstone Bank, York, March 4-30, sponsored by Cornerstone Bank
- Stalder Gallery, Falls City Library and Arts Center, April 1-27, sponsored by Richardson County Arts and Humanities Council
- Beatrice Public Library, Beatrice, April 29-May 25, sponsored by the Beatrice Public Library Foundation