The University of Nebraska–Lincoln’s National Diversity Advisory Board came together in a spirit of celebration to recognize outstanding achievements, contributions and the advancement of inclusive excellence in the community.
An Inclusive Excellence Breakfast shared highlights and progress for the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and was attended by the Jackie Gaughan Multicultural Center Hall of Fame Award recipients and 2023 Distinguished Alumni. The meeting included a review of accolades from the 2023 Multicultural Homecoming Reception, an annual celebration of alumni and students from UNL. The Chancellor’s Commission on the Status of People of Color, along with the Office of Academic Success and Intercultural Services, recognized alumni, faculty and staff who have made contributions to the University of Nebraska’s campus while either in their course of study or employment. Each of the nine colleges on campus nominated one of the Distinguished Alumni (listed below).
The main functions of the NDAB include supporting and assisting the Office of Diversity and Inclusion in positioning UNL and Nebraska as leaders in the promotion and advancement of inclusive excellence policies and practices. The Inclusive Excellence Breakfast marked their first meeting this fall and showed why it is important to hold space for the celebration and recognition of inclusive excellence throughout campus.
Paul Pechous, ASUN president and student regent, was present to provide an update on how the ASUN Student Government and the student body are embracing and advancing inclusive excellence on campus. Pechous shared how it was most important for ASUN and the UNL campus “to be welcoming to all; a place where everyone can have the Husker family behind them.” Currently, ASUN is working on several projects to work towards the N2025 Initiative and the priority of intersectionality and student safety on campus such as organizing a large-scale event next semester for multicultural community organizations and student groups to share with the community.
The NDAB will convene again during the spring semester and will continue to engage campus to advance inclusive excellence.
The 2023 Jackie Gaughan Multicultural Center Hall of Fame award recipients are:
- Whittney LeBruce – Afrikan Peoples Union
- Ed Munoz – Mexican American Student Association
- Anitra Warrior – University of Nebraska Inter-Tribal Exchange
- Khoi Tran – Asian Student Union
- Marianna Burks – JGMC Influencer Award
- Kwame Dawes – Dr. Michael W. Combs Legacy Award
The 2023 Distinguished Alumni from the colleges are:
- DeMoine Adams ’01, ’06 College of Arts and Sciences
- Cesar Garcia ’04, ’07 College of Engineering
- Adrian Whitsett ’08 College of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Cyndi Munson ’10 College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources
- Karen Kassebaum ’12 College of Education and Human Sciences
- Riko Bishop ’92 College of Law
- Aakriti Agrawal ’22 College of Business
- Ivan Gilreath ’82 College of Business
- Josiah Hood ’15 College of Business