After more than two years of planning and consultation, the University of Nebraska–Lincoln has finalized plans for the razing of Cather Hall, Pound Hall and the attached Cather-Pound Dining Center.
Learn more about the razing. The project schedule along with a list of buildings that will be affected by the Dec. 22 implosion of the two 13-story towers, includes:
Cather-Pound Halls Implosion Schedule
- 17th Street between R and Vine streets will close. Limited traffic access to buildings north and south of the Cather-Pound Residence Hall Complex on 17th Street will be available.
- Cather-Pound Dining Center demolition begins.
- Cather-Pound Dining Center demolition completed.
- Installation of protective fabric on buildings near the Cather-Pound implosion site
- 10 p.m. — All parking lots within the evacuation zone (including the Area A/R1 parking lot near the Beadle Center on 19th Street) will close and cars should be removed.
5 to 6:15 a.m. — Evacuation zone cleared
6 a.m. — Exclusion zone access closes at 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, R and Vine streets
8 a.m. — Building occupants in the exclusion zone shelter in place
9 a.m. — Cather-Pound implosion
9:30 to 11 a.m. — Evacuation zone cleanup
Noon — All clear signal (three loud horn blasts); campus reopens to normal activity
- Alternate implosion date. Same schedule as Dec. 22. Any notice of a delay will be provided at least 24 hours prior.
- Start Cather-Pound debris removal
- Complete Cather-Pound debris removal
Evacuation Zone Buildings
No one is allowed inside of these buildings from 6 a.m. to noon on Dec. 22
University buildings — Courtyards (south half), Knoll Residential Center, Neihardt Hall, Willa Cather Dining Complex
Greek houses — Alpha Omega, Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Kappa Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Phi Mu, Pi Beta Phi
Exclusion Zone Buildings
Individuals in these buildings must shelter in place from 7 a.m. to noon on Dec. 22
University buildings — 17th and R parking garage, 18th and R parking garage, Courtyard (north half), East Side Suites, University Suites
Greek houses — Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Xi Delta, Delta Delta Delta, Delta Tau Delta, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Phi Delta Theta, Pi Kappa Phi, Pi Kappa Psi, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Nu and Sigma Phi Epsilon
Private buildings — 50/50 apartment complex, Lewis-Syford House, Lutheran Center