Symphonic Band performance features 'Drum Music'
School of Music performances this week
The Symphonic Band will close its season with the program “Drum Music” at 7:30 p.m. April 28 in Kimball Recital Hall.
Works featuring percussion and strong rhythmic qualities by David Sampson, Derek Bourgeois, Fisher Tull and Michael Daugherty will be performed. Dave Hall, professor of percussion and jazz studies, will be featured on John Mackey’s Percussion Concerto: “Drum Music.”
The Symphonic Band is the band program’s top symphonic ensemble. Its mission is to provide instrumentalists with an opportunity to demonstrate and develop the techniques and musical instincts appropriate to a symphonic setting. With an emphasis on the distinctive characteristics of the large wind and percussion ensemble, the Symphonic Band’s repertoire is selected from the rich resources of the wind band tradition.
The objectives of the Symphonic Band are to rehearse and perform repertoire of a symphonic nature, develop fundamental skills, involve students in the creative process, and motivate and inform music educators.
General admission tickets are $5. Student and senior tickets are $3.
Other School of Music events this week include:
- Wet Ink! – 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. April 21 and 25, Westbrook Music Building
- Percussion Ensemble Performance – 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. April 22, Kimball Recital Hall
- Afternoon of Choir Performance – 3 to 4 p.m. April 23, Kimball Recital Hall
- Campus Orchestra Performance – 7:30 p.m. April 23, Kimball Recital Hall
- Big Red Singers and Vocal Jazz Performances – 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. April 24, Kimball Recital Hall
- ChamberFest – 7:30 p.m. April 24, Westbrook Music Building
- Opera Scenes – 4 to 5 p.m. April 26, Westbrook Music Building
- Jazz Orchestra and Big Band Performance – 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. April 26, Kimball Recital Hall
- Campus Band – 7:30 p.m. April 27, Kimball Recital Hall
- Music Theatre Showcase – 7:30 p.m. April 28, Westbrook Music Building
- Symphonic Band Performance – 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. April 28, Kimball Recital Hall
- Symphony Orchestra – 7:30 p.m. April 29, Kimball Recital Hall
- Honors ChamberFest – 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. April 30, Kimball Recital Hall