Following an order from the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department, the University of Nebraska–Lincoln community is required to wear masks when indoors.
Announced Aug. 24 and going into effect Aug. 25, the policy will remain in effect for the duration of the county’s directed health measure. It currently is in place through Sept. 30.
“This public health decision was necessary due to increased cases of COVID-19 in Lancaster County,” said Chancellor Ronnie Green in a message to students, faculty and staff. “Those cases are putting an incredible strain on local hospitals, which are seeing younger and younger patients seriously ill with COVID-19 infections due to the Delta variant.”
The facial mask requirement will be implemented as it has been previously followed on campus.
All faculty, staff, students and visitors (including contractors, service providers and others) are required to use a facial covering at all times when indoors on university campuses, with the following exceptions:
- In office settings when 6 feet of separation from others can be maintained at all times.
- When seated to eat or drink, or while immediately consuming food or beverages.
- When alone in a room or not in the same workspace of any other individual.
- When giving a speech, lecture or broadcast to an audience so long as six (6) feet of distancing from other individuals is maintained and only while said speech, lecture or broadcast is being delivered.
- When an alternative is necessary as indicated by a medical professional during patient care.
- When actively participating in a supervised group exercise class, showering, using the swimming pool or using a piece of cardio equipment in a campus recreation facility.
- When exercising and not at rest.
- When in one’s assigned apartment or residence hall room.
- When the task requires the use of a NIOSH-approved respirator.
- When pertaining to children under the age of 2 years.
- Cannot wear a face covering because of a medical condition, a mental health condition, or a disability that prevents the wearing of a face covering. Students with questions should contact Services for Students with Disabilities for more information.
This policy shall remain in effect until further guidance is provided from the Office of the Chancellor.
For more details on this and other COVID-19 protocols, click here.