A team from the University of Nebraska–Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications recently took second place in the Public Relations Student Society of America’s Bateman Case Study Competition.
The 2021 Bateman competition focused on reversing the corrosion of civility in American life and fostering more constructive and inclusive public discourse in all corners of society. The competition was open to the 370-plus PRSSA-affiliated chapters and challenged student teams to research, plan, implement and evaluate a public relations campaign centered on enhancing civility.
The 2021 competition included 54 entries from colleges and universities across the nation. Of those submissions, eight received honorable mention and three presented to a panel of judges on May 13. California State University Long Beach took first place, and Loyola University New Orleans finished third.
Following is a list of Nebraska’s Bateman team members, listed by hometown with their year in school and major(s):
- Columbus: Emerson Belitz, senior, advertising and public relations
- Lincoln: Hallie Miller, senior, advertising and public relations
- North Platte: Morgan Libsack, senior, advertising and public relations
- Wahoo: Kateri Hartman, senior, advertising and public relations and journalism
- Walton: Arielle Wiedenbeck, senior, advertising and public relations and political science
Monique Farmer, assistant professor of practice in advertising and public relations, led the team. LeAnne Morman was the professional adviser.