Housing reassignments begin for students in residence halls
The University of Nebraska–Lincoln will move all remaining students living in campus residence halls to suite and apartment-style facilities beginning March 25.
Students able to return to their permanent residences are strongly encouraged to do so; however, no student is required to move off campus.
University Housing is reassigning rooms based on social distancing recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Suite and apartment-style housing is the safest option for students due to the following reasons:
- Individual bedrooms and reduced numbers of students sharing bathrooms will increase social distancing.
- All residents will have full-sized refrigerators and microwaves, providing more independence for storing and heating food.
- Moving students out of other halls will make future space available should the need arise for quarantine or isolation.
The moving process will begin building by building on March 25. Students will be notified 24 hours before the assigned move and should check @huskers.unl.edu email regularly to watch for another message with a specific moving time. There will be no additional costs incurred if a student's new room is at a higher rate than the current room.
Students in Abel, Sandoz, Harper, Schramm, Smith, Village, Massengale, Love Memorial, Selleck and Kauffman halls will need to begin packing and be ready to move to their new assignment. University Housing will provide boxes and moving trucks for on-campus moves at no cost to assist the migrations to the suite and apartment-style halls.
Students in Courtyards, Knoll Residential Center, University Suites and Eastside Suites will remain in their regularly assigned room and should keep the space clean for any new roommate(s).
If students are out of town and unable to move items to their new assignment by March 29, items may be packed and stored. Contact the Residence Life office at 402-472-3885 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss this option.
Parents or guardians planning to assist their student in the moving process are asked to do the following:
- Prepare by bringing cleaning wipes, gloves, moving supplies and any other equipment that may help expedite the process.
- Bring as few people as necessary to help move your student home.
- Avoid campus if you have been instructed by health professionals to self-quarantine/isolate or have recently traveled to areas with more widespread transmission of coronavirus.