Celebration of Service to honor Nebraska faculty, staff
More than 1,000 faculty and staff will be honored during the University of Nebraska–Lincoln’s Celebration of Service on Sept. 25.
The event includes a reception and celebration for faculty/staff receiving awards for years of employment; recognition of recent retirees; acknowledgement of significant honors received in the last year; and a picnic lunch open to all university employees.
“Our community is one of 6,500 faculty and staff who work hard every day to deliver on our mission of enthusiasm and heart,” Green said. “This event is an opportunity to celebrate the talent and dedication of our people.”
The chancellor’s State of the University Address has regularly been a part of the service award recognition. The speech has been moved to January to align with the university’s 150th anniversary celebration in 2019.
Service awards will be available for employees to pick up from 9 to 11 a.m. in the Lied Center for Performing Arts’ Steinhart Room.
The service awards ceremony, which begins at 11 a.m., will be in Kimball Recital Hall. It will include a presentation by Rick Alloway, associate professor of broadcasting, outlining the history of the university in five-year intervals. Chancellor Green and Bruce Currin, assistant vice chancellor for human resources, will honor on stage employees celebrating 45- and 50-year work anniversaries.
The university picnic begins at noon in the Sheldon Sculpture Garden. The meal will include a barbecue beef sandwich or vegetarian option, chips, cookie, Dairy Store ice cream and Pepsi products.
A complete Celebration of Service schedule is below.
A list of University of Nebraska–Lincoln Service Award winners is available online. The 50- and 45-year recipients are:
- Edward Becker, Philosophy
- Roger Bruning, Educational Psychology
- Allan Peterson, Mathematics
- Brett Ratcliffe, Entomology
- Jacqueline Wilken, Athletics
- Douglas Carlson, University Television - Kathleen Johnson, University Libraries - Danny Ladely, Mary Riepma Ross Media Arts Center - Leann Messing, English - Kenneth Nickerson, Biological Sciences - Lee Peshek, U.S. Meat Animal Research Center - Helen Sexton, Political Science - Richard Shaw, U.S. Meat Animal Research Center - Anthony Starace, Physics and Astronomy - Margaret Van Diest, University Libraries - Jane Wemhoff, University Housing
Celebration of Service — Sept. 25
9 to 11 a.m. — Reception for Service Award winners at the Lied Center for Performing Arts. Award recipients can pick up awards in the Steinhart Room. Coffee social offered in the Orchestra Lobby.
11 to 11:45 a.m. — Celebration of Service ceremony at Kimball Recital Hall. Includes a historic overview by Rick Alloway, associate professor of broadcasting; presentation of honors to employees celebrating 45- and 50-year work anniversaries; and program honoring winners of significant honors at Kimball Recital Hall.
Noon — University picnic, Sheldon Sculpture Garden