The University of Nebraska–Lincoln Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts has announced the winners of the 23rd annual Nebraska Young Artist Awards.
The awards recognize 11th-grade students from Nebraska for their talents in visual art, dance, music, theatre and emerging media.
Fifty-nine students from more than 40 high schools across the state have been selected as award winners.
Students applied for the recognition and submitted an example of their work. Applications were received from 122 students. Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts faculty chose the winners.
Due to concerns about the novel coronavirus, the Nebraska Young Artist Awards day of activities originally scheduled for April 8 has been canceled. Students will receive their award by mail.
Following is a list of award winners by hometown, with their high school and specialty area(s).
- Blair: Morgan Thompson, Blair, music
- Columbus: Alexis Braziel, Columbus, dance; Emilee Price, Lakeview, music
- Cozad: Elizabeth Tvrdy, Cozad, dance; Makenna White, Cozad, dance
- David City: Macy Moravec, home school, visual art
- Eagle: Gus Pope, Elmwood-Murdock, music and theatre arts
- Edgar: Breanna Brennfoerder, Sandy Creek, visual art
- Firth: Maddy Stolcpart, Norris, music
- Fullerton: Savannah Robinson, Fullerton, visual art
- Gering: Paige Schneider, Gering, visual art
- Grand Island: Belle Tran, Grand Island, visual art
- Guide Rock: Zoie Cornell, Superior, visual art
- Indianola: Elaine Roggenkamp, Southwest, visual art
- Juniata: Jaden Nienhueser, Adams Central, music
- Kearney: Robert Exstrom, Kearney, music
- Kimball: Timothy Mars, home school, music
- Lexington: Rebecca Shaffer, Cozad, dance
- Lincoln: Zaineb Aljumayaat, Lincoln High, visual art; Daniel Bernhardson, Lincoln Christian, music; Emerson Borakove, Lincoln High, emerging media arts; Rachel Cloeter, Lincoln Arts and Humanities, visual art; Hannah Cowins, Lincoln Arts and Humanities, visual art; Allison FitzSimmons, Lincoln Southeast, music; Dameer Gustafson, Lincoln Southeast, music; Kennady Hoyt, Lincoln Arts and Humanities, emerging media arts; Ealynn Hsu, Lincoln East, music; Anna Johnson, Lincoln Southwest, dance; Dorothy Marks, home school, music; Maisie Morrow, Lincoln High, emerging media arts; Ginger Tracy, Lincoln North Star, dance; Emily Vaggalis, Lincoln East, dance; Madi Witcig, Lincoln North Star, dance; Jingming Yu, Lincoln East, visual art
- Loup City: Randii Reikofski, Loup City, theatre arts
- Milford: Abigail Hovendick, Milford, dance; Phoebe Kolb, Milford, music and dance
- Murray: Lily Drannen, Conestoga, theatre arts
- O’Neill: Christopher Jennings, O’Neill, music
- Omaha: Julia Becker, Marian, music; Claire Bouma, Omaha Central, music; Hannah Callaghan, Omaha Central, dance; Anusha Deshpande, Millard North, music; Morgen Gardner, Brownell Talbot, music; Mila Herszbaum-Harding, Omaha Central, music; Jessica Hua, Millard South, music; Sophie Manzitto, Omaha South, visual art; Leora McNamara, Omaha Central, dance; Rachel Radloff, Quest Forward Academy, theatre arts; Myah Ricchiardi, Roncalli, dance; Dottie Roland, Duchesne Academy, dance; Luke Skrabal, Millard West, music
- Oxford: Amanda Basnett, Southern Valley, visual art
- Papillion: Alexis Nothelfer, Gross Catholic, music
- Plattsmouth: Kaitlyn Merrill, Plattsmouth, music
- Schuyler: Melissa Escobar, Schuyler Central, visual art
- Seward: Ella Davis-Schmit, Seward, dance
- Springfield: Torey Swanson, Platteview, dance; Sydney Vanderheiden, Platteview, dance