· 3 min read
59 students chosen as Nebraska Young Artist Award winners
The University of Nebraska–Lincoln’s Hixson-Lied College of Fine and Performing Arts has announced the winners of the 26th annual Nebraska Young Artist Awards.
The awards recognize 11th-grade students from Nebraska for their talents in visual art, dance, music, theatre, and film and emerging media arts.
Fifty-nine students from more than 30 high schools across the state have been selected as award winners and will be invited to a day of activities on campus April 5.
“The faculty always look forward to this event,” said Chris Watson, director of recruitment for the college and coordinator of the awards. “They love meeting enthusiastic young artists, working with them and celebrating their talent.”
Students applied for the recognition and submitted an example of their work. Applications were received from 93 students. Hixson-Lied College faculty chose the winners.
Award winners were also asked to nominate the teacher who provided them with the greatest amount of mentoring and support in the development of their special talents.
Students will receive a certificate and an original piece of artwork commissioned for the event and created by a School of Art, Art History and Design printmaking student.
Following is a list of award winners by hometown, with their high school and specialty area(s).
- Adams: Elsie Wittmann, Norris, music
- Beatrice: Gavin Wolf, Beatrice, music
- Bradshaw: Raima Kreifels, York, theatre
- Chadron: Amanda Kittell, Chadron, visual arts; Meharit Tewahade, Chadron, visual arts
- Culbertson: Daelyn Mues, Hitchcock County, music
- Elkhorn: Riya Kumar, Marian, music
- Firth: Ellyson Stolcpart, Norris, music; Elise Van Cleave, Norris, music
- La Vista: Caroline Carrico, Papillion-La Vista, visual arts
- Lincoln: Hannah Borden, Lincoln Southeast (Arts and Humanities Focus Program), visual arts; Helen Brozovic, Lincoln High, music; Leah Christensen, Lincoln Northeast, music; Scarlett Coleman, Lincoln High, dance; Samara Follette, Lincoln Northeast, music; Addison Henshaw, Arts and Humanities Focus Program, visual arts; Isabella Hilton, Hilton Homeschool Academy, visual arts; Brenna Kindschuh, Pius X, dance; Maryam Mashfi, Lincoln Southwest, visual arts; Alyssa Maul, Lincoln North Star, dance; Anara McClure, Lincoln High, visual arts; Aden Niebuhr, Lincoln Southwest, music; William Niebuhr, Lincoln Southwest, music; Xander Niebuhr, Lincoln Southwest, music; Ava Pearson, Lincoln Southwest, visual arts; Morgan Person, Lincoln North Star, dance; Chantelle Runyan, Lincoln Southeast, music; Elaine Suh, Lincoln East, music; Elizeh Tarkian, Lincoln Southeast, music; Emma von Scheliha, Lincoln Southeast, music; Eden Wilder, Lincoln Southwest (Bay High), visual arts and theatre
- Malcolm: Isabella Faubion, Malcolm, theatre, and film and emerging media arts
- Mitchell: Sullivan Johnson, Mitchell, film and emerging media arts
- Norfolk: Noah Schmidt, Norfolk, dance; Abby Wurdinger, Norfolk, dance
- O’Neill: Winnie Huber, O’Neill, theatre
- Omaha: Allison Burnett, Westside, visual arts; Caden Cervantes, Westside, music; Eli College, Bennington, music; Sanjana Jayanti, Millard North, dance; Champagne Joynoosaeng, Westside, music; Advika Namasivayam, Millard North, music; Tien Nguyen, Omaha Northwest, visual arts; Marin O’Malley, Millard North, dance; Joanna Sandquist, Omaha Central, music; Dmitrii Shaposhnikov, Millard West, music; Elise Templeton, Westside, dance; Justin Thengvall, Millard North, music; Kiley Tigani, Westside, dance
- Orleans: Rylee Smith, Southern Valley, visual arts
- Osceola: Hayden Lavaley, Osceola, visual arts
- Papillion: Anna Brayfield, Papillion LaVista South, visual arts; Kailey Waszak, Papillion-La Vista, music
- Roca: Braeden Smoyer, Norris, music
- Valparaiso: Sophia Klement, Bishop Neumann, visual arts; Mae Masek, Raymond Central, visual arts
- Wakefield: Ashlyn Boeckenhauer, Wakefield Community School, visual arts
- Wausa: Holly Johnson, Wausa, visual arts
- Waverly: Ava Meinke, Waverly, dance