One of the hallmarks of the holiday season is helping those in need. Our UNL community has come together to give a hand to a variety of important causes within our city, state and nation. While it’s impossible to list every good deed our students, faculty and staff have done, we collected a few here to inspire future do-gooders and give public kudos to these inspiring Huskers.
1. Rounding Up Supplies for Refugees
2. Chipping In for Cancer PatientsUNL Students Together Against Cancer have donated a whopping $40,000 to local cancer patients since 2012. In November 2021, the group hit a milestone with their 100th donation to Danielle, a mother of three and future Husker.
3. Welcoming the Newest Nebraskans
4. Helping Children’s Hospital& Medical Center in Omaha. The group holds year-round fundraisers — as well as a 13.1-hour dancing event — to show support for the children undergoing treatment at the hospital. In October 2021, the group celebrated raising more than $24,000 in donations.
5. Turning Shelter Pups into Service Dogs
6. Supporting Lincoln’s Future ArtistsUNL’s Racial Justice Alliance organized a fundraiser for Art Bus LNK, a mobile art studio that allows kids to explore the joys of art. Art Bus LNK’s after school sessions and summer camps connect little ones with local artists and new mediums of expression.
7. Giving Girls Confidence
8. Lending a Helping Paw
9. Serving Local Children
10. Giving Back Across the GlobeUNL’s Engineers Without Borders are taking their engineering knowledge to communities in Madagascar and Zambia to install solar lighting systems, build bridges and teach their skills to members of the local community. They also help locally at STEM events and community clean ups.