As a part of its renewed focus on leadership, the Executive Vice Chancellor’s Office has announced its eighth annual selection of faculty members to attend two Big Ten Academic Alliance leadership programs this year.
“One of the benefits of belonging to the Big Ten Academic Alliance is the opportunity to collaborate with other research universities across the country,” said Judy Walker, associate vice chancellor for faculty and academic affairs. “These programs help our faculty deepen their leadership knowledge and skills, which in turn helps them educate, inspire and support our next generation of leaders.”
Academic Leadership Program
Fellows will attend a series of three conferences throughout the academic year learning about leadership on a broad range of topics, including community engagement, diversity and inclusion, freedom of expression, challenging conversations, mental health, student success, and the social value of higher education.
Fellows in the Academic Leadership Program include:
- Don Becker, Charles E. Bessey Professor of Biochemistry, director of the Nebraska Redox Biology Center
- Ken Bloom, professor of physics and astronomy
- Ece Erdogmus, associate director for architectural engineering in the Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction
- Amy Struthers, professor of advertising, interim dean of the College of Journalism and Mass Communications
- Susan M. Swearer, Willa Cather Professor of Educational Psychology, director of faculty development
Department Executive Officers Program
Fellows will attend a three-day conference learning about leadership at a departmental level, including unique perspectives and challenges regarding faculty development, performance, communication, conflict resolution, time management, and mentoring.
Fellows in the Department Executive Officers Program include:
- Jennifer McKitrick, professor and chair, philosophy
- Hossein Noureddini, professor and chair, chemical and biomolecular engineering
- Nick Pace, professor and chair, educational administration
- Jody Redepenning, professor and interim chair, chemistry
- Sergio H. Ruiz, professor and director, music
Learn more about these programs and view past participants on the Academic Leadership Program and Department Executive Officers website pages. For information about other faculty development opportunities, contact Judy Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-472-3751.